Real Property Reports (RPR)

Servicing Edmonton and all surrounding towns and municipalities

Real Property Reports: What are they?

A Real Property Report (RPR) is a high-level drawing of a property, the boundaries and the building and structures on it. It is a legal document that includes written statements detailing a land surveyor’s opinions or concerns. Edmonton Real Property Reports are considered a legal document and are needed for the sale of a property.

Why get a Real Property Report? (RPR)

What is the process of ordering an RPR with Arc surveys?

Read a step-by-step guide on how Arc Surveys makes it easy for you to order a Real Property Report.

Real Property Reports: Who needs them?

Preceding the sale of a property, a land surveyors Real Property Report is essential in most commercial and residential real estate transactions in Alberta.

What protection does a Real Property Report offer?

The cost of buying a home can be one of the largest financial investments you ever make. Using a Real Property Report, owners are informed of any boundary concerns. For example, they now know whether their new home is too close to the property line, or if part of their garage is extending on to a neighboring property. Remember: The best neighbors have the best boundaries!

“ The best neighbors have the best boundaries!”

An Edmonton Land Surveyors Real Property Report might ultimately protect the buyer from legal and financial obstacles or holdbacks of funds if a sold property fails to meet bylaw requirements.

Real Property Reports: what do they show?

  • Location of the dwelling and/or outbuildings in relation to the property lines

  • Within the boundaries of the property, significant improvements have been made to the home

  • Encroachments in relation to the boundaries of the property

  • Right-of-way for utilities, easements, and some restrictive covenants on the property

  • As well as many other important items

How does an Edmonton compliance application and submission work?

After a homeowner completes an Edmonton compliance submission, (find a compliance application here) an Edmonton Land Surveying company will submit their completed Real Property Report to the City of Edmonton, or governing Municipality to determine if the property meets the local bylaws. After reviewing the RPR, the City of Edmonton, or governing municipality will issue a certificate or stamp indicating approval. If the RPR does not comply, the municipality will issue a rejection letter. The property owner can then resolve any outstanding issues identified before the sale of the property.

Providing Compliance applications and Real Property Reports for the following locations.

City of Edmonton, Leduc, Nisku, Sherwood Park , Fort Saskatchewan, St.Albert, Spruce Grove, Leduc county, Strathcona County, Parkland County Sturgeon County, and many other locations 

You can also contact us by phone at 780-800-1260 if you would like a Real Property Report for your area.

Looking for a certificate of compliance?

Certificate of Compliance Compliance Fee

  • City of Edmonton Compliance Application Cost: $136.00 (no GST)
  • City of Leduc Compliance Application Cost: $100.00 (no GST)
  • City of St. Albert Compliance Application Cost: $240.00 (no GST)
  • City of Spruce Grove Compliance Application Cost: $157.50 (no GST)
  • City of Beaumont Compliance Application Cost: $137.00 (no GST)
  • City of Fort Saskatchewan Compliance Application Cost: $255.00 (no GST)

Frequently Asked Question about RPR’s

In most cases a compliant RPR is valid if no other property improvements have been made to the property other than what is shown on the last compliant RPR, and if municipal bylaws have not changed in regard to the property in question. However, not all municipalities will accept a Real Property Report that is greater than one year old.  Contact us to find out if your RPR still valid.

No, we take payment at the end, after the process is complete. We will call and or email, to let you know that your RPR is ready for pickup or if there are municipal bylaw concerns with your property.

No, all surveying work is completed outside the property. We do not need access to the inside of the house. We ask that all animals are kept inside during the survey and that all fences/gates are left unlocked to give our surveyors access to the entire property.

We typically choose to show all sheds on the property. That way if there is a Bylaw issue with the placement of the Shed, we can let you know.

Completing a Real Property Report consists of locating property boundary evidence in the form of buried metal pins. Surveyors will often need access to the boundaries of neighboring properties to find this evidence if the metal pins cannot be located on the property in question.

In some cases, it is more cost effective to order an RPR update rather than completing a new RPR. A number a critical factor’s come into play when considering an RPR update. For example, the date of the last surveyed RPR, the number of improvements made to the property and municipal Bylaw updates related to your property. Please contact us to see if an RPP update is right for you.

For more information about Real Property Reports in Edmonton and City of Edmonton compliance, please visit the link below

Portions of this information was supplied, with permission, courtesy of the Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association. For more information visit

Go to Top